Since birthdays happen throughout the year I will cover the topic a couple of times. I’m covering it this time because I just celebrated my birthday. Never mind the year, it’s a very uneventful one, there was no excuse to make it big. Plus it was on a Monday so I mostly went about my normal day. I wanted to share the things that made it special for me.
1) 73 Friends posted Birthday Wishes on my FaceBook Wall – that means, 73 people who I’ve met throughout my life but hardly ever see had a positive thought about me.
2) 5 of my 7 siblings contacted me in some way…even 2 of my brothers, one who sent me a 12 part text & the other had his 2 kids sing to me over the phone.
3) My husband gave me a card with words that shared perfect thoughts. If he can’t find a card with the exact feeling he wants to convey he’ll find a generic one (he once gave me a reused Christmas card from our mortgage broker) & covered the words with his own kind thoughts. So if the card doesn’t say what you want, make one that does!
4) Received emails from old friends – A friend of 20 yrs reminded me of the crazy ways we used to celebrate & a friend of mine from kindergarten (YES KINDERGARTEN & she never forgets my birthday) sent me the email which touched me beyond words.
5) Spending time with the person - Talked to a friend/neighbor about a dinner at the end of the week, felt so happy being able to start the week looking forward to the end of the week when I would share a wonderful night out with girlfriends. – if you can’t plan a full dinner just bring over a bottle of wine & make a date to share a glass or two.
As you can see none of these include purchases, material items or even gift-wrap. The repeated theme here is THOUGHTFULNEESS! …it’s an old cliché’ but so true: it’s the thought that counts. Also sometimes the most eco-friendly gift is giving no gift at all. Even if the only gift you give someone is a simple viral message, take an extra couple of minutes to say something that will really touches them or reminds them of the special relationship you share. Simply sending a kind thought is a gift!
As the day came to an end I was comparing the changes in my life since my last birthday & I felt complete happiness. I was grinning from ear to ear. I thought this is the perfect way to age, I am more overwhelmed with love this year than I was last year. This to me is a sign of true growth & prosperity. With all these wonderful displays of affection I couldn’t feel more love….the best gift of all.
My gift to you is that next time you’re struggling to find any person that “perfect” birthday gift, these thoughts will make it a little easier for you. Hopefully they will make it simple to make some one’s basic birthday Special & Happy! And… If you feel you really need to purchase a gift….Even if the gift is little, make the presentation big & meaningful!
Giving to others is what makes us better human beings. Giving something Beautiful makes us the best human beings we can be....even if it's just Beautiful Thoughts.